Podcast: With Giovanni Gaja
This is my first podcast and it feels great to start with the new generation of the Gaja winery, Giovanni Gaja. It is always a privilege to be given the chance to dive into the world of Gaja; to understand the numerous factors that have contributed to its success and to realise that nothing has been left to chance. It is a product of hard work and of the obsession to be different.
This took place in Athens, at Faidon's in Voula, where we discussed some key things such as:
- The need, or not, for a great story in the world of wine
- The impact of climate change on Gaja's viticultural practices
- The old vines debate
- The trend for more elegant wines, which I call the 'pinotnoirization' of wine
- The battles between modernism and traditionalism; international and indigenous; new oak or botti.
- The importance of branding and packaging design
- The role of 'influencers'
Hope you enjoy it and stay tuned for the next one.
* The wines of Gaja are imported in Greece by Cava Halaris Cordis.